Blue Skies, Smilin' at Me...
Looking further down the road... Next March 9-11, the University of South Florida is sponsoring the first International Jazz Composers' Symposium showcasing the talents of three celebrated composersBob Brookmeyer, John Clayton and Dave Douglaswith the university's resident Jazz orchestra, Chuck Owen and the Jazz Surge. The symposium will encompass two days and three nights of concerts, master classes, panel discussions, lectures / chats and research presentations. As a bonus, composers may apply to have their works performed in a concert setting with the guest composers present. For information, phone 813-974-4285.
And on March 31-April 2, the University of North Texas hosts the annual UNT Jazz Festival at the Hotel Inter-Continental in Addison (just north of Dallas). As always, there'll be plenty of big bands performing, although the names aren't yet available. But they will include the North Texas One O'Clock and Two O'Clock Bands, as well as the UNT Jazz Faculty Combo and UNT Jazz Singers. That's more than enough to whet the appetite. There'll be competitions in a number of areas with judges to include Ron McCurdy and Sunny Wilkinson (vocal groups), Lou Fischer and Howie Smith (combos), Steve Houghton and Marvin Stamm (big bands). Those interested in performing should notify education director Bob Morgan of their intention to apply no later than November 1. E-mail email@example.com.
That's it for now. Until next time, keep swingin'...!
New and Noteworthy
- Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra, Live at MCG (MCG Jazz)
- Drake University Jazz Ensemble, <>Late Night at the Mainstay (DUJE)
- Stockholm Jazz Orchestra, Homage (Dragon)
- Danny D'Imperio Big Band Bloviation, Vol 2 (Rompin' Records)
- U North Texas Two O'Clock Lab Band, Best of the Big O (North Texas Jazz)
- Don Menza Big Band, Menza Lines (Jazzed Media)
- NYJO Featuring Atila the Killer Diller, Something Old, Something New (NYJ)
- Lars Halle Jazz Orchestra, Speaking of Apropos (no label)
- Manhattan School of Music Jazz Orchestra, Sketches of Spain (MSM)
- Brussels Jazz Orchestra, Meeting Colours (Dreyfus Jazz)
- Neophonic Orchestras, New Horizons, Vols 1 and 2 (Tantara)
- Mt. Hood Community College, Super Blue (Sea Breeze Vista)
- Dallas Christian Jazz Band, Sermonette (DCJB)
- New Talent Jazz Orchestra, The Sound of NY Jazz Underground (Fresh Sound NT)
- Howard University Jazz Ensemble, HUJE 2004 (HUJE)