Fred Anderson: On the Run
AAJ: Did you ever feel you were missing out on something, staying in Chicago all these years?
FA: Not really. The music is important. It's a good time. That's what I tell the kids. Find out what's going on. Slow down, because it ain't gonna happen over night. That's all there is to it. If you think you're going to go out there and be a star overnight, you can forget it. Not only with music, with anything. You just gotta get out here, and work, and commit yourself. Persevere.
AAJ: How do you feel about being honored at the Vision Festival this year?
FA: It's nice, it's nice. This is my life. This is the way I'll probably go out. Duke and them were traveling on the road all the way until they died. Everybody's got some kind of destiny. This is the way I'm going. We all dedicate ourselves to something and we do it. Whatever legacy you leave, you leave. You gotta keep doing something. Keep on moving.
The Fred Anderson Day at Vision Festival is June 16th.
· Joseph Jarman - Song For (Delmark, 1966)
· Fred Anderson - The Dark Day + Live in Verona (Atavistic Unheard Music Series, 1979)
· Fred Anderson - Chicago Chamber Music (Southport, 1996)
· Fred Anderson/Hamid Drake/Kidd Jordan/ Wiliam Parker - 2 Days in April (Eremite, 1999)
· Fred Anderson - On the Run: Live at the Velvet Lounge (Delmark, 2000)
· Fred Anderson/Hamid Drake - Back (Together Again) (Thrill Jockey, 2004)