Carmen Lundy: Something To Believe In (2003)
Senior Contributor since 1997Jim Santella has been contributing CD reviews, concert reviews and DVD reviews to AAJ since 1997. His work has also appeared in Southland Blues, The L.A. Jazz Scene, and Cadence Magazine.
Recent articles (1,677 total)
The message here is one of love. Love for all the good things that we believe in. Love for what makes us happy, and love for what keeps us on track.
Carmen Lundy’s rich alto voice brings jazz to her audience with clarity and balance. Her seamless phrasing gives the listener assurance that each lyric’s message rings true. As an artist dedicated to interpreting creative works, Lundy doesn’t dabble in superficial vocal acrobatics. That kind of stunt can be left for those singers, usually found in pop and R&B circles, who only want to show their wares. Lundy’s concern is for the message. She sings these love poems from the heart.
Regina Carter and Mark Shim add colorful interludes, while complementing Lundy’s purpose. She and Shim appear as long-lost lovers on “Vu Ja De” with freely interspersed phrases that produce an enchanted conversation. Lundy and Carter exchange glad tidings on “A Gift of Love” to reflect the miracle of birth and how much it means to us all year long.
Carmen Lundy is equally at home interpreting golden standards as she is creating new adventures. The common denominator is her high regard for genuineness of spirit. Her love message shines though like a beacon.
Track Listing: In Love Again; Something To Believe In; Windmills Of Your Mind; Happiness Is; Wild Child; I Loves You Porgy; Vu Ja De; A Gift of Love; It Might as Well Be Spring; Moody
Personnel: Carmen Lundy- vocals; Anthony Wonsey- piano; Curtis Lundy- bass; Victor Lewis- drums; Mark Shim- tenor saxophone on
Carmen Lundy Related
Sorry, no events found. Submit one now.
- Something to Believe In by Rich Friedman
- Alain Londes Albert Thompson Allan B. Spiegel
- Allan Goldberg Amy Tushoski andile
- Andrei Platkovsky Andy Boeckstaens Arild Herstein
- Barbara Butler Barry Schmidt Bebra Washington
- Ben Susser Ben Thompson Bernard Yavitch
- Boston University Jazz Brendan Lynch Calvin Leather
- camille ludwig Carl Valeboe cheryl Schurmeier
- Chris Harrison Christopher T. Hank ChuckAllAboutJazz
- Dan Bilawsky Dan Carey Dan Fitzgerald
- Daniel Thornton David Kuntz Dawn M Aiken
- Dennis Teepe Dorothy Rozdilsky Edna Willadsen
- Elisabeth Oei Elizabeth Case Felicia M.
- Frank Polgar Frederick Rotgers Frederico Fonseca
- Gene Riddell Genghis George Relf
- gerald porzio Gloria Jackson Hank L
- Hawthorne Heather Poindexter Henrik Osthed
- Howard Kim Jackie P James Nadal
- Janan Cheskis Jason Steinmetz Jeanne conner
- jenny hebert Jeremy Toole jimmy mays
- JOE LOSARDO John McCarthy John Roefaro
- Jonathan Gillman Joseph Groff Joseph Salack
- Joshua Rebell Justin Vargo Karl Blake
- keith d james Kelly E Nicholson Kermit H. Crissey, Jr.
- Kirk Robert Sellman Kivi Kris upshur
- Lana Fitzgerald Lance Saltzman Louis Blyskal
- Louis Huffmire Makeba Moore Marc Andren
- Maria K Marilyn J Nawara Mary Jo Riesberg
- Mary T Gallo Matthew King Mel Vo
- Michael Irelan Michael Ricci Michael T Smidutz
- Michaela Rabitsch Moneva Van Vooren Niels C. Nielsen
- Nigel Voak Pamela White Peter Oliver
- philip w halter R. W. Hepler Ralph Regina
- Randall Carlson Randolph Malachi Richard Tucker
- Rick Toothman Robert J. Ferrara Robert McNeice
- Robert Melia Watson Robert Ray Robert T. Smith
- Robyn L Norris Rodger Matthews Ron Pratt
- Ron Weinstock Ronald Holst Ronald Manley
- RONDA NOEL Scott M. Manson, CPA JD Stephen C. Pardys
- Stephen Rose Steve Claude theresa Johnson
- Tim Mooney Tommy Culpepper Valerie Bishop
- Vincent Perron Vladimir Ossipov Wayne Bognar
- Willa Luthi William Joseph O'Keeffe Yvonne Hooker