March 2nd - March 30th
While it is said that March comes in like a lion and leaves like a lamb. In the world of jazz and blues reissues, special event recordings and collections, it comes in like a lion and leaves, well, like a tiger.
Attention record labels! Please email me your reissue schedules so I can include them in future lists.
Featured Reissue of the Month:
- Dave Brubeck “For All Time” (Columbia / Legacy). This is a five CD boxset featuring the reissuing of 1959’s “Time Out,” 1961’s “Time Further Out,” 1964’s “Time Changes,” 1965’s “Time In” and 1962’s “Countdown: Time in Outer Space.” These digitally remastered editions include bonus material and both original and updated liner notes including notes by Brubeck. A total of 6 bonus previously unreleased tracks are included. [ review ].
- Branford Marsalis “The Steep Anthology” (Columbia / Legacy). This is the first reissue / collection that spans Marsalis’ career at Columbia.
- Thad Jones and the Danish Radio Big Band “Live at the Montmartre: A Good Time Was Had By All” (Storyville). This release was from a live recording in Copenhagen from 1978.
- Various Artists “The Jubilee Shows, volume 9” (Storyville). Earl Hines, Peggy Lee and Les Paul Trio tracks are included in this collection of two Armed Forces Radio Service programs from 1945.
- Benny Goodman “On the Air: Original 1935, 36 and 38 Broadcasts” (Storyville). These are from the Camel Caravan broadcasts and feature Harry James, Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton, Teddy Wilson and Martha Tilton.
- Idris Muhammed "House of the Rising Son" (CTI). This is a reissue of the 1976 release and features two bonus tracks.
- Joey DeFrancesco "Street of Dreams" (Silverwolf). This is a reissue of his 1995 release.
- Arcado "For Three Strings and Orchestra" (Winter & Winter). This is a reissue of their 1991 jazz fusion release.
- Marc Johnson "Right Brain Patrol" (Winter & Winter). This is a reissue of his 199 release.
- Gary Thomas "Kold Kage" (Winter & Winter). This is a reissue of his 1991 release.
- Bukka White ”Big Daddy” This 13 track collection features such recordings as “Gibson Hill,” “Shake My Hand Blues” and “Hobo Blues.”
Blue Note’s Rudy Van Gelder (RGV) reissue series:
- Donald Byrd “At the Half Note Café vols 1 &2” – a double CD set.
- Donald Byrd “Free Form”
- Grant Green “Goin’ West”
- Freddie Hubbard “Ready for Freddie”
- Jackie McLean “Right Now”
- Duke Pearson “Sweet Honey Bee”
- Sam Rivers “Fuchsia Swing Song”
- Big Joe Williams “Stars of Mississippi Songs” (JSP). A five CD, 126 track collection.
- Caravan “Green Bottles for Marjorie” (Eclectic). Culminated from BBC recordings between 1968 and 1972.
- O’Donel Levy “Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky” (P-Vine Japan / Groove Merchant). This reissue is from 1974.
- Mike Longo “900 Shares of the Blues” (P-Vine Japan / Groove Merchant). This reissue is from a 1975 release.
- Larry Willis “Inner Crisis” (P-Vine Japan / Groove Merchant). This reissue is culminated from two ensemble recordings from 1973 that features Eddie Gomez, Harold Vick, David Bergeron, Roland Prince and Warren Benbow.
Karin Krog reissues from P-Vine Japan / Polydor, all have been 24-bit remastering.
- “Joy” from 1968 featuring Arild Anderson.
- “We Could Be Flying” from 1974 and features Steve Kuhn, Steve Swallow and Jon Christensen.
- “Cloud Nine Blue” from 1976 and features John Surman.
- Charmaine Neville “Queen of the Mardi Gras” (P-Vine Japan / Gert Town). This 1998 recording features three bonus tracks.
- Mel Brown “Chicken Fat” (Verve / Impulse!). Reissued from the 1967 recording.
- Clark Terry & Chico O’Farrill “Spanish Rice” (Verve / Impulse!). Reissued from the 1966 recording.
- Gloria Coleman “Soul Sisters” (Verve / Impulse!). Reissued from the 1963 recording featuring an organ combo with Grant Green and Leo Wright.
- Yusef Lateef “The Golden Flute” (Verve / Impulse!). Reissued from the 1966 recording featuring Roy Brooks.
- Archie Shepp “The Cry of My People” (Verve / Impulse!). Reissued from the 1972 recording featuring the stellar line-up of Cornell Dupree, Bernard Purdie, Ron Carter, Leroy Jenkins, Jimmy Garrison, Charles McGhee and Harold Maburn, Jr.
- George Shearing Lullabies of Birdland: A Musical Autobiography (Concord). This is a double CD set.
- Various Artists Concord Jazz SACD Sampler (Concord). This collection is remastered for the Super Audio CD format.
- Gordon Beck Quartet “Experiment with Pops” (Art of Life Records). Recordings from 1967 featuring John McLaughlin and Tony Oxley.
Shop for jazz: